Friday, April 1, 2011

Sleep wars

I think we are on our way down to one nap a day now. Which is great, and sad, all at the same time. It will be great if we can get on a one nap routine, because then it will be easier to plan day time activities around one nap a day instead of the two he had been taking. I just hope the one nap will be long enough to me to get as much done as I need to while he is asleep!

When did all of you other parents cut down to one nap a day for your little ones? Joshua is almost 14 months old now, and some days he still goes down for two naps without any issues, but then there are days like today, where he refuses to sleep. It is almost 1:30 and he is in his crib, not sleeping yet, probably because he is over tired from not napping yet today.

So my question is, do I keep him awake the next few days and try to establish a single nap routine with him from here on out. Or do i just go with the flow and let him take two naps some days, and one nap on others? I do notice his two naps are getting shorter when he takes both, so maybe reducing to one will make for a longer nap? I hope?

Isn't it amazing how we parents, spend all this time while kids are small trying to make them sleep longer, sleep more, and take naps, and by the time they finally do, and want to, they are teenagers and we don't want them to sleep that much anymore?

My other issue with baby sleep. Is Joshua's wake up time. On a typical day he wakes up around 6am. Which is not the worst, but also not the best. When he is teething, or not feeling well, he's up between 4 and 5am, which is the worst. At least, when you are used to having a baby who sleeps until 6am. So my question on. How does one encourage their little one to sleep later into the morning? We've tried earlier bedtimes, later bedtimes, the whole bit. And he wakes up at the same time regardless. Maybe he is just a morning person? I guess only time will tell!


0 comments:

Post a Comment