Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Crazy Good Turkey Taco Meatloaf: A Review

Awhile back, I vowed to cook and eat healthier, and keep you posted on how that goes. Thus far... you may, or may not have noticed, there have been no posts of the sort. But, it wasn't for lack of healthy eating. I could spew out my reasons for going MIA for a bit, but I'll spare you. :-).

Anyhow. I made a recipe from one of the Hungry Girl cookbooks. If you haven't seen them/heard of them. I suggest you check them out! She has just released her third book. One of my best friends introduced me to these books a couple years ago, and I'be been hooked ever since. (I in no way work with/for hungry girl, or am paid to endorse her recipes or anything like that, I just really like them! haha)

That said, this meatloaf was fairly easy to make, did not use a ton of ingredients (many you may have in your kitchen already) the end result was a very juicy, very flavorful meatloaf.

I didn't take pictures of the process because my hands were all meatloaf-ey from mixing, and . . . this is my first time really writing about food, and I didn't think of it ha. But to sum it up for you, basically, you:

preheat your oven to 375 degrees


• saute up about 1/2 cup of mixed peppers and onions in a frying pan in some non-stick cooking spray.
• combine pepper and onions with 1/2 can of sweet corn, 1/2 packet of powdered low fat, taco seasoning, and about 1lb of extra lean ground turkey meat.
• spray a loaf pan (If you don't have one/can't find yours, like me, you can use a regular ol' cookie sheet or 9x9 brownie type pan and hand form the meat into a loaf . . . works exactly the same!)
• spread half of the meatloaf mix in the bottom of the pan
• put 2 low or no-fat cheddar cheese slices on top of the bottom half, make sure it stays inside, so don't let it touch the sides of the pan, I left about 1/4 inch or so all around so i could seal it in easily.
• layer the remaining loaf mix on top, top with 1/2 cup of salsa 


•place in preheated oven for 1/2 hour then remove and top with 1/2 cup shredded no or lo-fat cheddar cheese
• put back in the oven for 15 more minutes (I had to add an additional 10 minutes to my cooking time, so be sure to check the center of the loaf to be sure there is no pink before you serve it up)

When it's all done, slice it up and serve it! Makes 6 servings, and according to the hungry girl, eack slice contains 127 calories, 1g fat, 688mg sodium, 7g carbs, .5g sugars, and a whopping 22 grams of protein.

This is what mine looked like (disregard the bad color. lighting was bad!)



 I served mine with a small garden salad with some more of the shredded fat-free cheddar on top and oil and vinegar with italian herbs instead of regular dressing. Yummy!

If you give this recipe a try let me know what you think! 

1 comments:

sjmk said...

Healthy fiesta? :)

Post a Comment