Monday, March 7, 2011

When the heck did Joshua become a toddler!?

And what the heck are toddlers supposed to eat?!

Apparently we have entered toddler land. A few weeks ago. No one ever told me, or asked me if this was OK! Somehow, I just came to this realization as I was reading articles about what to feed a one year-old. I've been having a mini-panic attack ever since Joshua's one-year check-up because his doctor told me that he doesn't need formula anymore, to work him off the bottles and just give him cow's milk in a sippy cup, and that he doesn't need to eat the purees anymore, he can eat whatever we are eating now (with the exception of the high-allergen foods he has to wait until he is two to try.) Yikes! 

Now, it's easy when they are just drinking formula, and eating jars of baby food. You know they are getting the right amount, they aren't hungry, and it's generally good for them. NOW all of the sudden, I need to re-examine MY eating habits, and lifestyle so I can be sure we are teaching Joshua good food habits from an early age. I don't consider myself Terribly unhealthy, but I certainly could do a lot better. Especially lately. I've been so busy, I usually make supper, but I don't eat it, I end up eating a PB&J at 10 pm when I realize I haven't eaten all day long. Now I am going to need to make sure I am feeding a small person AND my husband AND myself, wholesome, nutritions foods in good variety... all the time! And how much do I feed him?! I know they say babies (toddlers) won't overeat unless you force them, they stop when they are not hungry and all, but for as long as I've known Joshua... I am pretty sure he has never, not been hungry. I mean, this kid will eat me out of house and home before he is two if I let him I think! Yikes!

Yesterday Joshua had cow's milk for the first time. I gave him 4 oz. with his snack, eliminating one of the 2 bottles he was still taking. He drank it like he's been drinking it his whole life. Not even a funny face, a flinch... nothing. Which is a good thing, don't get me wrong. After I gave it to him I watched him, and his skin, like a hawk until it was time for him to eat again. He did great with that one, no hives, no funky reactions. But, later in the day, I gave him milk again, with his supper, and he broke out in hives (sigh). I am hoping it was just a matter of too much, too soon with the milk. So I think I will stick to one time a day for now, and give him baby yogurt and cheeses to fill in the missing dairy, he has not have a problem with either of those things. but no matter the issue, there is no feeling worse, than watching your baby break out in hives, especially when you don't know exactly why it is happening. He never seems bothered by the hives, just turns all red and looks itchy. Poor little man.

So that is that. Guess I'd better go make a shopping list and head to the grocery store so the kid and I will have more than ramen noodles to eat this week! 

On a side note. Joshua is beginning to walk! He has taken steps without holding on to anything the past couple days, but no more than a few steps at a time. I'll keep you posted. 

On another side note. Joshua is getting too tall. He can reach the top of the kitchen table at the edges. Note to self: Do not leave bowls of snacks on the edge of the kitchen table any more, or this will be the end result.

uht-oh! Cheerios!

0 comments:

Post a Comment