Monday, January 3, 2011

To day care, or not to day care.

With Joshua's first birthday approaching, and my work load increasing between my full-time job and freelance, I have been playing with the idea of enrolling Joshua in day care part-time. I have ready things like, children who go to day care, develop social and language skills faster than children who do not. But on the other hand, I also know that children who go to day care get sick a lot more often than children who don't.

I was browsing around online at lunch time, just to see what there was locally. Generally, I think most day care facilities prices are ridiculous for most people in this bad economy. But, I did stumble upon a place right in Exeter, where my office is, that offers part-time and per-day day care rates. It would be $50 per day or $225 a week once Joshua turns one next month. I don't really like the idea of day care for a few reasons, like I said before, kids get sick more often when they go to day care, also it's very expensive and we don't have much as it is. But I can't help wondering if he might benefit some from going one day a week. When I am at home with him I am juggling working, him, and all of the other household chores. If he went in one day a week, it would normalize my schedule some, in that I wouldn't have to stay up till all hours of the night to finish a days work when he goes to bed and things finally settle down. And maybe it would help him develop and learn things that a trained teacher/provider can teach more easily that I can, and shouldn't I give him every advantage that I can?

I may fill in the form for more information and the schedule an interview. Can't hurt anyways. I still need to talk to the man of the house about this one. I have a feeling it won't be received well, but we'll see! Any ideas or thought are day care are more than welcome! I'm curious how other people feel about this topic.

3 comments:

Kat said...

I hear that youngsters getting sick at daycare is not a bad thing because it helps them build immunities.

Anna P. said...

That's true... but Joshua puts EVERYTHING in his mouth anyways... so I am pretty sure he builds lots of immunities without day care too lol. I think it's more of the money issue with us than anything else, blah.

Becki said...

Liam has been in since January of last year and he does well. He is learning to play and share with others and learning routines.

He has had 2 colds and 1 case of hand foot and mouth. Yes there are germs but they aren't all bad. He is building immunities.

But I do agree the prices are outrageous.

Post a Comment