Monday, March 18, 2013

On loneliness. A bit of a rant.

One may wonder how it could be possible to be lonely when you are married and have a small child with another on the way. But I assure, at times, it is very possible. With spring teasing us in the air on occasion (less in the hills where I live) many groups of friends and family are more actively getting together, planning trips, just getting out in general. And sometime, I can't help but feel a little sad. True, I always have people to hang out with. But there is something to be said for girl time, and friend time, and even family time. And since we've moved, the majority of my local group of friends are un-married, or at least childless. Don't get me wrong, I love my little family with all of my heart and wouldn't trade it for the world, but being childless, you have a certain freedom that us with children, especially children of napping age, do not have. Throw in a full-time job and a freelance business and you really have some planning problems! I feel like the only way I ever see people is to either plan months in advance, or have them come here on one of my 2 days off a week, and living at LEAST a half hour away from most people I know makes that one hard as well. I don't mean to sound like a complainer, though I suppose I am complaining. But really, I just miss my friends. I miss being able to join in on parties, and hikes, and last minute planned adventures.

Finding a proper balance for everything is key, but so hard to do! I am in awe of other working moms who still maintain a social life, how do you do it?! I imagine it's easier if you don't work opposite hours as your spouse. But still. Maybe I should start planning parties here...but then the issue of being so far away comes into play again.

I guess I am just feeling a little ... friend-sick? Does that make sense? What do you working moms do? Is this just going to be the way things go for the next um-teen years or so?

That's all for today-I apologize for my whininess today, I promise my next post will be happier :)

1 comments:

Kat said...

I'm so with you. Here is something that I realized but have yet to actually practice: just because you work full time, you cannot feel guilty for taking a couple of hours to yourself/social life during your "time with baby" time.

Post a Comment