Thursday, June 30, 2016

Can we be real here for a minute...

I preface this by saying this post is not really about mom-ing. It's not really about my kids, though I suppose, indirectly it's about everyone . . . all of us.

I keep seeing these posts on social media about how "so-and-so has plus sized models now!" or about how "so-and-so is posting pictures laying in a pile of food because body shamers are nasty." etc. etc.. You've seen them, we've all seen them. Can I just ask, why does the term "plus sized" even exist? I mean, really? Doesn't using terminology like that just perpetuate some people's need to body shame? Why does ev.ery.thing need a label anyways? Can't pants and dresses just have sizes? You know, people, human, sizes?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the obesity problem we have in America is no joke, it's serious stuff. That's not what this is about either.

This is about the reality that social media is creating this land when body shaming is a thing, and cyber bullying is a thing, and it's SO prevalent. I mean, I was raised being taught if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. what ever happened to that? Just because cowards can hide behind a computer monitor and their false identity (maybe) they think it's ok, it makes them feel better about their (probably) sad life in some small way? I just can't wrap my head around it!

For one thing-you body-shaming-type-people, just keep your mouths shut, virtually and in real life, do us all a favor. Unless you know a person's story, or past, or present even, what gives you the right to comment on their external appearance ever anyway? Who are you to judge? How do you know that the woman you just called a "nasty fat cow" isn't on a weight loss journey, and until you opened your mouth was feeling very proud of hitting a milestone number in her weight loss? Or that someone isn't battling an illness of some type that cause rapid weight gain, or just makes it that much harder to keep it off? I could go on and on about the circumstances someone might be in. But what I'm getting at here is this, can we PLEASE, please, please get back to being nice? If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. If you feel compelled to tell someone something about their appearance, I'll give you a tip, just don't! Maybe instead, use your words to ask them how their day is going. Tell them you like the color of their shirt, it makes their eyes look lovely... you catch my drift?

I know this was a bit of a rant, but it just, literally makes me sick reading these headlines, and seeing so many beautiful humans feeling bad about themselves because of the unfortunate few who choose to take their misery out on everyone else. And you know, I guess this is about my kids, because I have to raise my children in this world, in this social-media culture, and it's my job to make sure they grow up to be good, kind, thoughtful humans. Humans who will treat others with compassion and forgiveness, even when the world around them can be such an ugly place, and even knowing that they are not always going to get the same kindnesses back. And that's a big responsibility! So maybe I should also thank the jerks of the world for making sure I have a good example of how not to behave for my children.

So on that note, can we please just go back to treating others as we want to be treated? Treat others with kindness, respect, love because after all, what you put out into the world is ultimately what you are going to get back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment